Fast & Easy Fresh Berry Oatmeal Bars
I have a weakness for those big containers of fresh strawberries at Sam’s Club. I know I shouldn’t buy them – they’re really too much for just a couple of people – and yet, I end up getting one almost every time I go there. I just can’t resist all those bright red berries.
Consequently, every couple of weeks, I am desperate for a way to use up a bunch of berries before they go bad. Such was the case this past Saturday. I had also been cleaning out my pantry that day, as part of the Kitchen Cure, so I was intimately familiar with what I had in the pantry and what needed to be used up.
Oatmeal + strawberries = Fresh Berry Oatmeal Bars = yummy!
Eat one, then eat another one. Then hide the pan before you eat the rest. Immediately go visit your stairmaster.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cup fresh strawberries washed, hulled and sliced (or other berry of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and oats until well combined. Add butter to bowl and rub with hands until a crumbly dough is formed. Divided dough into two portions. If desired, mix white chocolate chunks into one half of dough.
- Press half of dough (with white chocolate, if using) into bottom of pan.
- Cover with sliced strawberries in an even layer. Sprinkle with cornstarch.
- Sprinkle remaining dough over the top, and lightly press. Don’t worry if some of the strawberries show through; it’s all good. If desired, sprinkle top with raw sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and set. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.
© DontForgetDelicious.com and Valerie Tate Williams
Nutritional Info calculated with BigOven Recipe Software
|Fat: 10g, Sat Fat: 6g